Saturday, April 28, 2012

[IMPORT] Primordial Phase

"No matter how much suffering you went through, you never wanted to let go of those memories."
Carnal desires, frustration fits and erratic emotions: Lingering thoughts of how I deal with my own life. Haruki Murakami (ζ‘δΈŠζ˜₯ζ¨Ή) taught me countless lessons that greatly shifted the way I view the abysmal disposition that I have. I was introduced to a new, gaping peephole of myriad abstractions of existence, human ethics and vulnerability. I admit that having been exposed to Murakami and coming back for more is both a boon and bane. My standards of morality has been at flux in a good and a bad way. I have further matured, but also uncertain of everything around me. I have gained confidence in myself, and have lost trust in the world.
"Leave me alone, motherfuckers."

Add a shitload of scenes of a teen having sex with a  50 year-old woman, raining leeches, pimp Colonel Sanders, you've got this crackfest that is Kafka on the Shore. Sure, this may sound like some stoned word vomit, but there's definitely way way something deeper that what meets the eye. Proudly to say, this is the most poignant work I've read. To accurately describe: emotionally exhausting (insert crying cue). Along with a highly-disturbing content, the expulsion of feelings was overpowering I was being swept with every page. The novel greatly allocates altering chapters for the two personally-unrelated main characters, Kafka Tamura and Satoru Nakata, who both travel south of Japan at separate instances in search of crucial things in their lives only to diverge and realize they have an overwhelming connection. 

Along with common Murakamian cats, food, angsty women, Western music and horniness, one encompassing theme is related to Greek tragedy as numerously mentioned in many parts of the novel. It recounts Sophocles' Oedipus Rex which tells the story of a noble warrior named Oedipus whose values and bravery would ironically and inevitably constrain him leading to his own destruction. Kafka considers and believes, with the sympathy of his hemophiliac transgender friend Oshima, that it is as well inescapable for him to fall under the Oedipal curse: to unbeknowingly kill his father and to sleep with his mother (and sister). I don't want any further spoiler, but the quote from Murakami above is related to how his character, Kafka, despises his own past and how he dreads the very blood that ebbs through his veins; DNA care-of his father, he esoterically implies to Oshima.

from the beautiful Bailey Kennedy (2012)
I am a fan of the thought that there is no person on earth who has no problem. Everyone either has or had one. This is what makes us human gender-wise, race-wise, sane or mad. These complications of what I call 
the grand design of reality are expedient components of existence, and to relate that with of the humane, they are what shape us. They are omnipresent, but we fail to notice and appreciate at times. Like Kafka and Nakata, I do hope that I would soon find that wide expanse of meaning of life. I have been hurting, but I am always looking forward to one day that I can say that I know there's always that something I have to life for.
my symbol of perpetual idolatry, brah
The mistakes we make may be forever scars among us, but these marks may likewise be the language that would tell the tale of how we all became humans--in our own right.
"May the bridges we burn light the way."
- Marko Rakar

No comments:

Post a Comment